Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tribute to my Great Grandfather


Sorry it has been a couple of days. I have been working nights this week and I haven't had a lot of time to work on my blog. Thank you to all who welcomed me to "Blogger World", it has been fun so far! 

Now to what I decided to post on today! I was thinking what we have been doing for the past month or so and realized it had been a month since we said goodbye to a very important part of my family and a good role model! 

The picture is of Brad and I and my Great Grandparents. Yes, my Great Grandparents. They are on my mom's side of the family. Unfortunately, on June 14, my Great grandpa went home to be with Jesus. We will definitely miss him but we all know that he is up in heaven, walking with Jesus (along with my mom and other family members) and he is probably gardening God's gardens as well. He was a fantastic gardener even to the point of buying seeds for this years plant, at 98 years old. Up until this point, both he and my Great Grandma were living still on the farm by themselves. 

The reason I say he was a great role model is two fold. He was an awesome man of God in everything he did. I have very fond memories of him reading the Christmas story every year. The second belongs to my Great Grandma too. I remember the first Christmas I brought Brad home to meet my extended family and my Great Grandparents were there. I introduced them to him and that's when I found out that they had been married for 67 years and still very happy. He said that marriage was a lot of work but well worth it. At this point Brad and I were still dating (though he proposed right after Christmas that year) but it was definitely encouragement. When he died he and my Great Grandma were married 71 years. That to me is an amazing testimony in itself. I know that whenever Brad and I think of them, we smile and say, "We hope we are that lucky!" 

Thanks for going down memory lane with me! Like I said, we miss him but we can't wait seeing him again in heaven, standing tall, with all fingers and gardening in the gardens of God! 





2 comments:

TwirledPeace said...

Wow--married 71 years! That is remarkable--thanks for sharing memories of you Great Grandpa!

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. You have an amazing family heritage! I lost my Grandma last October, and so it was really nice to read your post.

Keep up the great job blogging! :)